Family Employment Readiness Program (FERP)
Out of an abudance of caution and in an effort to practice social distancing, the Fleet & Family Support Center offices are closed and the staff will be working remotely.
Please call 202-685-0229 for more information and assistance.
Please visit the NSA Washington FFR COVID-19 page for more information and updates.
The goal of the Family Employment Readiness Program (FERP) is to help spouses and family members gain the tools they need to obtain suitable employment, establish career goals, and maintain career progression.
The military recognizes that moving every few years creates career challenges for military spouses/family members, especially when stationed overseas or in remote areas.
Our Family Employment Readiness Program (FERP) offers family members a variety of resources to tackle those challenges. We provide no cost consultations and are available to guide you.
The NSAW Fleet & Family Support Center (FFSC) offers a variety of workshops for spouses and family members to learn new skills and hone techniques.
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Job search strategies -- Learn how to assess the hidden job market, finding a job long-distance and job searches on the Internet.
- Navigating the Federal employment system -- Learn how to find federal government vacancies and job listings, complete the application process and understand standard qualification and testing requirements.
- Effective resume writing -- Learn how to market your skills, knowledge, accomplishments and experience with an impressive resume. The one-session workshop includes tips on translating military terminology.
- Interview techniques -- Hone your skills by learning how to give positive answers to difficult questions, dress for success, body language, positive attitude, interview follow-up techniques and salary negotiation.
Also, don’t forget about volunteering! It is a great way to learn new skills, create important networks and gain experience while contributing to the community!
Employment with the Federal Government is an excellent option for military spouses. Spouses who meet certain criteria may receive preference when applying for jobs within the department of defense or be eligible for noncompetitive entry into federal employment. Advantages to federal employment include transferability and job stability.
Develop your federal resume and navigate the Federal Employment Process
Be sure to check USA Jobs for current federal job opportunities. Listings are updated daily, so check back often.
Federal Employment and Military Spouse Preference Webinar
The Defense Civilian Personal Advisory Service (DCPAS) facilitated web based training entitled "Federal Employment and Military Spouse Preference" for Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC) staff and military spouses. This highly informative webinar provides an overview of the spouse hiring authorities and explores the federal application process.
To view the recorded webinar, please visit: https://zeiders.adobeconnect.com/p18cp6987sl/
Contact your local Fleet and Family Support Center for more information.
- Military Spouse Employment Partnership - Military spouses seeking employment in portable career fields can connect with participating MSEP employers who are posting job openings and actively recruiting military spouses.
- USAJOBS is the Federal Government’s official jobs site.
- Military One Source - Check out the Spouse Education and Career Opportunities section.
- Spouse Education and Career Opportunities can help you search for information on portable careers, get you started on your education, finalize that perfect resume, or assist you with your career planning.
- Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of financial assistance to eligible military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification or associate's degree in a portable career field and occupation.
- Military Spouse eMentor Leadership Program allows military spouses to receive personalized job search / career guidance, advice, support and inspiration from more experienced spouses, career mentors and veteran-friendly employers.
- Military Spouse Program/Hiring our Heroes host job fairs and networking receptions exclusively for military spouses on or near military installations.